crape myrtle trees - Knowledgebase Question

paramus, Ne
Question by wrongwaydot
I have 3 Crape Myrtle trees in my backyard. What do I have to do keep them safe from this freezing winter we are having? I am in Paramus New Jersey.Thank you Dorothy Rosato

0

Crape myrtle grow successfully in New Jersey. In the northern reaches of its range, crape myrtle will benefit from some winter protection. Water the tree generously before the ground freezes and increase the mulch layer to 4 inches to insulate the ground somewhat from fluctuating temperatures over the winter. In these colder areas, expect that the tops of crape myrtle shrubs/trees may be frosted and die back. Plan to prune them in early spring to remove winter damage.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"