What is "stratification"? - Knowledgebase Question

Bucyrus, Oh
Question by tsteinhe
I collected a lot of seeds from my violas last summer and I want to plant them next spring in Bucyrus, OH 44820.
I read that I need to do

Stratification is a fancy term for exposing seeds to the cold. Viola seeds are easy to germinate, however, they will do better with stratification, a process of subjecting seeds to moist/cold treatment to break the seeds dormancy. You can accomplish this by sowing your seeds outdoors in early March while the weather is still cold. Or, sow them indoors, into moistened potting soil and place them in the refrigerator for about a week then take them out and place them in a warm room. Viola seed also requires darkness to germinate. Make sure seeds are planted at recommended depth of 1/8". Best wishes with your viola seeds.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"