Slow Growth - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, Ne
Question by cvelander
Each spring I buy annuals and plant them in my garden. They are flowers and vegetable plants.

The plants just sit there in the soil and do not grow at all for at least a month. After that the plans will show some growth.

However, all my annuals really start growing great in very late summer and early fall.

How can I get my annuals to start growing properly in the spring when I plant the

0

I'd start by amending the soil with some organic matter to help enrich and loosen it so the roots won't have such a difficult time penetrating deeply. I just spread 4-5 inches of compost over then entire bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the bed and start planting. After you've finished planting, spread an additional 2-3 inches of organic matter over the bare soil to help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation.

The only other considerations are to make sure your annuals are getting the sun or shade they crave. If you plant a sun lover in the shade, it simply won't grow well. Be sure to check the tags on the plants to see what they prefer. Veggies need at least 8 hours of full sunshine in order to thrive.

Watering deeply once or twice a week and feeding with a slow release fertilizer in the spring should help your new plants grow and produce well. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"