Container gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Allen, Te
Question by sheneikafal
I live in Dallas and I am thinking about growing tomatoes and eggplant in container. I have done some research on growing tomatoes but have not found anything on eggplants. Do you have any suggestions or tips for planting both tomatoes and eggplants in containers?

You can successfully grow tomatoes and eggplants in containers. Your containers should be at least 18" deep for these plants, to provide adequate room for root growth. The material the containers are made from is really up to you - as long as they have adequate drainage holes, any you choose will be fine. Terra cotta pots heat up faster and water evaporates faster than with plastic or wood, but because it's hard to overwater plants in terra cotta containers, these might be a good choice. Plants in containers can heat up when given full afternoon sunshine so you can either group the containers together to help shade one another or you can set your containers where they will get morning and early afternoon sunshine but be shaded from late afternoon sunshine. Because you'll be watering your containerized plants more frequently than the same plants in the ground, you'll want to fertilize more frequently. I use a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro but dilute it by half and feed twice as often. This way you'll supply a constant source of nutrients without the fear of overfeeding and causing salt burn. Aside from the above considerations, there's not much more you need to do to have a bountiful harvest. Enjoy your tomatoes and eggplants!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"