Floratam Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Brownsville, Te
Question by lunasand123
I have a floratam grass on lawn that is beggining to dry in some areas. I do not know if it is a fungus or its dryng out. This has been going on for a month now (before the freeze. I have water, but no changes. I have seen alot og weeds growing and other types of grasses growing. Is it time to furtilize it with scotts weed and feed. Please advise. Should I remove all the dead grass.

0

If you're sure the grass is dead and not just dormant, you can dig it out, rake the area smooth, sprinkle on some compost and then transfer some sprigs or plugs from a healthy part of your lawn. If your turf has been growing for 3-4 years and you've never aerated or dethatched it, the dry spots might indicate compacted soil or too much thatch. Compacted soils won't absorb water, no matter how much you apply; too much thatch can cause the water to runoff before it has a chance to soak in. Dethatching or aerating might be needed before the dry areas will improve. I'd wait until late February to apply fertilizer. By that time the turf will be actively growing and will benefit from the application. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"