Overseeding now? - Knowledgebase Question

West Covina, Ca
Question by bakerboy9066
My lawn has 2 types of grass, Bermuda & Fescue, the Bermuda has gone dormant for winter..can I overseed the Bermuda now with Perennial Rye Grass...I live in So Cal, so my winter is quite warm....can I overseed now?

Overseeding is usually done in October which will give you green lawn during the cooler winter months. Perennial rye can be sown now, but will die out when the temperatures get warm (sometimes as early as April in your region) so you won't get your money's worth in terms of a green lawn but overseeding now will give you a few months of green lawn before the bermuda wakes up. Make a note on your calendar to overseed next October so you'll reap the full benefit of your labors. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"