Unpeaceful Lily - Knowledgebase Question

dallas, Te
Question by shaniexcell
I recently purchased a peace lily for my office. I took it to work on Saturday came back Monday to dead leafs. How do I care for this plant? Do I need to leave on my overhead light? I also purchased miracle grow, how often do I put this in the plant? and How do I put it in the plant? I want a new pot that matches my office decor.What type should I get? Where do I get it?

0

Peace lily can tolerate a lack of light so it generally does well indoors. I think from the symptoms you described the plant may be suffering from wet soil conditions or root rots. Indoor plants need much less water than the same plant kept outdoors. When the soil is kept too wet roots can't get oxygen and die. This leads to rots and usually to the loss of the plant. To try and save it, turn the container on its side and slide the root ball and soil out. Examine the soil to see if it is soggy wet or not. It may be that the soil is now drier. Examine the roots. They should be creamy white colored, not black, grey or brown. If the roots are rotted stand up the plant and cut away the outer parts (outer inch or so) of the root ball with a knife. Then repot the plant with fresh potting soil. Keep it moist but not at all soggy for several weeks to give it time to recover. Trim away dead leaves, and keep the plant in a bright area but out of direct sun. Time will tell if it can recover. You can use any decorative pot as long as it has adequate drainage holes in the bottom. If not, find a decorative pot that's just slightly larger than the nursery pot and simply set the nursery pot into the decorative pot. You can remove the plant to water it and then set it back into the decorative pot. Best wishes with your Peace Lily.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"