Coral Bark Maple propagation - Knowledgebase Question

Issaquah, Wa
Question by werreyn
I have a Coral Bark Maple. Can and how could I propagate cuttings from it?

Take first year growth that has hardened ( one to two months after leafing out). Cut just below a leaf node. Remove all but two leaf pairs, and immediately insert the cuttings into water. Moisten potting soil and place in a pot. I use 1 pot per cutting since I get an 80% yield from my cutting and this saves me from later transplanting. Use a stick to make a hole in the soil in the pot. Dip the wet cutting in hormone powder and tap off excess. Place the cutting in the hole and firm the soil around it. Place two support sticks in the pot at opposite sides of the pot. Place in a zip lock bag, spray with water and seal halfway.

Place the bag in a mostly shady spot. Under a tree with a little filtered light is perfect. Inspect the bag once per week. If you see mold growing or if the leaves fall off the cutting, throw it out - it probably will not take.

In about 3 months open the zip lock. Leave the pot in the bag but leave the bag fully opened for at least a week. Water the cutting so the soil remains moist but not soggy wet. After removing the bag, keep the cuttings in the shade for the rest of the summer. Leave the cutting in the original pot for a year to develop strength and a healthy root system. Fertilize with a gentle, balanced fertilizer like Osmocote. The following spring you can plant your rooted cuttings. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"