how to permenately kill grass - Knowledgebase Question

River Ridge, Lo
Question by parrfamco
I have a 50 ft x 15 ft area of bermuda grass in my yard that I want to kill.
The rest of the yard is ground cover, which I want to expand. All area gets only partial sun. Can I buy rolls of heavy black plastic at Home Depot to permenately kill the bermuda grass? Need to apply Roundup first? Is there an ITEM # at Home Depot for this type of black plastic?

0

Grass B Gon is effective in eliminating bermuda grass so start by mowing the grass as short as possible and applying Grass B Gone according to label directions. Once you've done that, cover the area with thick black plastic. Black polyethylene applied over bermudagrass to prevent sunlight from reaching the plant can effectively control it; leave it for at least 6 to 8 weeks in summer. Placing plastic over bermudagrass in winter will not control it. Be sure that the plastic remains intact without holes, or bermudagrass will grow through the holes and survive.

Here are the specs: Husky 6 Mil, 20 Ft. x 100 Ft. Black Polyethylene Sheeting Roll; Model # CFHK0620B; Internet/Catalog # 100651791; Store SKU # 938971

Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"