dappled willow - Knowledgebase Question

axton, Vi
Question by sissy7753
i bought what was listed as a willow but when it leafed out i notice that it is one of the dappled willows and i understand they need more shade than a willow should i plant atree in front of it to provide shade and how far in front of it should it be planted it gets morning shade but all day sun ,it had pink green and white leaves and my yard really has no shade except where it is planted

0

Salix integra ?Hakuro-nishiki? is synonymous with ?Albo-maculata?, also commonly named ?Dappled Japanese Willow? or ?Variegated Willow?. It may also be marketed as ?Fuiji Koreangi?, ?Fuiji Nishiki? or?Albomarginata?. It is one of the smaller members of the family, grown as a small tree or large shrub.It will grow well in full sun, part sun or part shade but the best color is produced in full sun. However, in zones with hotter summers, the dappled willow will not tolerate prolonged heat. If your summer weather is hot and dry, you'll need to provide afternoon shade. I know yours summers are hot, but I don't think they are considered dry. You can leave your dappled willow where it is now and see how it endures the summer weather. If the foliage burns you will need to move it next winter or spring to a site with afternoon shade. You won't need to plant a shade tree close to the willow; as long as it casts afternoon shade it could be clear across the yard. Or, you might erect a trellis on the sunny side of the willow and grow flowering annual or perennial vines to provide afternoon shade for your willow. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"