Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Livermore, Ca
Question by kenneth36
My lawn is not looking good. It has become extremely thin and many spots are completely bare and just hard packed mud. How best do I bring it back, what techniques should I use, and when do I start seeding it? Thanks, Kenneth

0

You can renovate your lawn in a few easy steps. Start by raking out the dead areas. Then address the compaction problem (which is probably the cause of the packed mud). A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. Late February or early March is a good time to overseed in your growing region. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"