Safe to plant veggies where Oleander once grew? - Knowledgebase Question

San Bernardino, Ca
Question by agngg2003
My yard was lined in large Oleander and we had all 16 removed a few years ago. I am preparing a bed for peas and beans along my fence and want to know if any toxins from the Oleander would still remain in the soil? Is it safe?

0

Oleanders contain a toxin called Cardenolide Glycosides. The toxin is mostly contained in the sap which is clear to slightly milky colored, and sticky. As long as the oleanders are history and there are no roots or branches in the soil, it will be safe for planting. Sometimes oleander is chipped up and used as a mulch and that's where soil contamination is at its highest. As long as the oleanders are gone from your yard, the soil should be safe for planting veggies - especially above ground veggies such as peas and beans. If the veggie plants thrive, the peas and beans will be safe to eat.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"