deer eating my plants! - Knowledgebase Question

c\'ville, Il
Question by mtthrrss
Hello, I have alot of deer in my neiborhood and they eat my hastas like they're a salad!! The only thing I see at HD is 25.00 a bottle. For something that washes off ...I don't think so !!! Is there something else i could use? My friend said to put chunks of bar soap at the base of the plants. Will this work? I need something that will WORK and last!! help!! matt

0

Alas. you are not alone. Deer are running rampant through many gardens and as you found out, a hungry deer will not be deterred by anything short of a tall fence or electric fence. You can try a few tricks and see how they work. Predator animal urines sprayed around the property will sometimes keep them at bay for awhile, only if the predator animal is in the area, so deer will be familiar enough with the scent to recognize it as a threat. I wouldn't bother with the ultrasonic devcies, but there are motion senstive devices that shoot water when it senses movement. These may be worth looking at. All the home remedies such as soap, cayenne pepper and moth balls really don't work for very long. Deer Away and Ropel do work, but they are expensive and need to be reapplied every 7 to 10 days. Plants with furry leaves such as lamb's ears tend not to be favorites, but again, hungry deer will eat anything if hungry enough. You could surprise them with a pet dog. Borrow a friend's dog and see if it works! Wish I had more to share with you.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "