Meadow maintenance - Knowledgebase Question

Covington, Ge
Question by pogue_mahon
My backyard is planted with native flowers and grasses. I mow the meadow once a year in late winter. The prolonged drought left some bare areas and I want to reseed. when is the best time to do this? Are there other things I should be doing to maintain this meadow? Thanks.

Mowing in late winter is a great idea. You remove the excess plant material but you're also allowing the plants to reseed before being mowed down. Keep up the good work! You can reseed in March. First scratch the bare soil with a rake to provide fresh soil for the seeds to settle in. Water during the summer if there's no rain. A deep soaking every 2-3 weeks will help the roots grow deeply and make the plants better able to endure the summer weather. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"