Beginneer - Knowledgebase Question

Collingsdale, Pe
Question by ssarmstro
Ok, I am planning to get to my lawn, garden, landscaping this fall. Just purchased 1st home and have lived in an apt for yrs. What do I need to do to get started..lawn looks ok. not dirt patches but the flower beds look to have been neglicted and have weeds. is there any thing I need to do now?

0

Now is a great time to prepare your flower beds for spring planting. Start by removing all the vegetation and debris from the beds, then spread 4-5 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top. This layer of mulch will help suppress weeds for the remainder of the winter. In the spring, dig the organic matter into the bed to a depth of 8-10 inches, level it, and plant your plants or sow your seeds. After planting, spread another 2-3 inches of organic mulch over the bare soil with the intention of digging it in to the soil the following spring. A few years of this will result in rich garden loam where most anything will thrive. Enjoy your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"