canadian red cherry tree - Knowledgebase Question

Question by sandybgarden
i was hoping you can give me some tips and info on the canadian red cherry tree....ours is 2 years old and need to know how to trim it you have any photos of what the tree looks like at maturety..thanks sandy

Canada Red Select Cherry (Prunus virginiana 'Shubert Select'), is a beautiful shrub or small tree with maroon-red foliage. The new growth is green, maturing to maroon-red. The small, white flowers in spring produce small, red fruits in summer that are savored by birds. This fruit is an edible chokecherry. Canada Red has a vigorous growth habit, straight trunk and uniform top. Prefers full sun and tolerates grows 20-25 feet tall and 18-20 feet wide. Your tree shouldn't require a lot of pruning at 2 years of age. Shorten overly long branches; remove any that are broken, damaged or crossing. When you prune off the tips of the branches you'll force new stems to grow along the branches. I don't have any photos to share but if you search Google for Prunus virginiana you should come up with all kinds of photos. Best wishes with your tree.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"