Vines - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by guinnj
I need a quick growing, hardy vine for length of back fence - filtered sun. I have a broken down fence and want to put up a trellis against it that will keep two little dogs in the yard and also grow the vines. What is hogwire? Is there an inexpensive something that I can erect? Jacksonville has hot summers but cold winters.

Some great vines to consider include Antigonon leptopus (Coral Vine), Bignonia capreolata (Cross Vine), Campsis radicans (Trumpet Creeper) and Dalechampia dioscoraefolia (Bow Tie Vine). All are evergreen and all produce seasonal flowers.

Hog wire is a sturdy fencing material. It is usually 4 gauge wire with 11 horizontal wires running the length, spaced at specific intervals (3" apart; 4" apart with larger increments towards the top). It makes a reasonable fence for large animals but won't keep little dogs contained - they will be able to get through the larger holes.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"