Dracaena Yellow Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Riverdale, Il
Question by teddbears3
I brought a Dracaena 3-4 months ago and now the leaves are turning yellow. I just repotted within a week hoping it will grow. I water it once a week. I beleive I put too much. I cut back. How do I keep it from turning yellow? Should I put plant food in there? Thanks Annette

I think you're overwatering. When you water it make sure all the soil in the pot is moist, then do not water it again until it is very dry and feels lightweight when tipped. It may take 2 weeks for it to dry out enough to need watered again. Another consideration is your tap water. Dracaenas hate flouride so use distilled water or filtered water that has no chlorine or flouride. If your plant continues to develop yellow leaves you can prune it back to force healthy new growth. Be sure your plant is getting bright light but no direct sunshine, and keep it out of drafts from windows or doors and away from heater or air conditioner vents. Good luck with your plant!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"