Petunias - Knowledgebase Question

Roseburg, Or
Question by gaga12
I want to do Petunia hanging baskets this spring. Which variety would you suggest. I need sonething compact and longlasting. Also what soil componets do you suggest; fertilizers?These will be on a tall pole with 4 hangers/with drip irrigation. Zone 8. Glenda

0

For hanging baskets I'd steer clear of the large flowering varieties - which look great in borders but are much too large for hanging baskets - and choose the smaller varieties instead. Some to consider:
Multiflora petunias. Their flowers are smaller than the grandifloras, but they make up for it with the sheer number of blossoms that are open at any given time. Like grandiflora varieties, they're available in single or double forms, though the vast majority are singles.

Milliflora petunias are compact, miniature plants that produce abundant quantities of perfect, small flowers only an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. They make good edging plants and are also attractive when mixed with other flowering annuals in containers, where they may be viewed close-up.

Groundcover or "spreading" petunias are only about six inches tall, but spread so rapidly that they cover a huge area over one growing season, provided they're watered and fertilized frequently. This makes them ideal for scrambling down a hillside garden, or planting atop a retaining wall. They're also amazing in hanging baskets and window boxes, where they trail two to three feet or more over the summer. When grown in full sunlight, they are so covered by flowers that you hardly see any foliage.

I'd use any brand name potting soil for the baskets, moistening it first and filling the planters, then poking holes or digging out potting soil to accommodate the roots of your transplants. Water well after planting and be sure to check the baskets daily and water as required to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet.

Enjoy your baskets of petunias!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"