how do i care for roses during winter if they're in a container? - Knowledgebase Question

brooklyn, Ne
Question by gabylapus
I have kept my rose plant in an indoor container but am not sure how to care for them in the winter. It's January and the leaves are still on the plant. There are 3 buds. The plant seems to have aphids too, I don't know if I should slowly get the plant outside or if this will cause the roots to freeze. How do I care for the rose plant in the winter and reduce aphids/bugs? Thank you.

If your plants are indoors now, keep them inside until the weather warms up. Otherwise, they may freeze to death. You can discourage aphids by squishing them when you see them or by rinsing them off in the shower. The stream of tepid water will wash the aphids off the plant and rinse them down the drain. You may have to repeat this treatment - they can hide in tiny crevices in the leaves or eggs may hatch. When the weather warms up in the spring, take your roses outdoors and prune them back. This will eliminate the aphids and encourage healthy new growth.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"