Weeds have taken over lawn - Knowledgebase Question

North Ft. Myers, Fl
Question by Macgyver8719
I believe I have binderweed over 90% of lawn - help! Property was abandoned for over one year. I have a mulching lawnmower that Ithink has spread the binderweed.

Field bindweed, which looks like a morning glory-type weed, is a perennial that can be a very persistent problem in gardens, flower beds, and other parts of the yard. The plant can grow prostrate, with stems up to ten feet long, or it can climb like a vine. Blossoms are white or pink and shaped like a funnel. This weed reproduces both by seed and by creeping roots. The root system is deep, so pulling or hoeing the weed is ineffective unless you also remove the root. You can try smothering the plants by covering over them with weed barrier fabric or cardboard to exclude sunlight, or you may have to resort to chemicals. Sadly, the only chemicals that control field bindweed are also lethal to most other plants. Round Up is a vegetation killer so if you use it, be sure to protect your desireable plants. YOur local cooperative extension office may have more suggestions. Contact them at 3406 Palm Beach Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL 33916-3736 phone (239) 338-3232. I'd strongly recommend bagging your grass clippings for the time being. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"