Weeds in Flowerbeds - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, Co
Question by katelyndcox
I noticed that now the snow has melted in Denver and I have weeds popping already. I did my front yard this past summer/ spring and planted trees, shrubs and perennials. I dug up grass that was in the way, sprayed, pulled weeds and put weed blocker down. Weeds are still coming back. I do not want to ruin any of the new plants, etc. Any suggestions so I do not have to weed constantly?
Thank you!

Weed block fabric keeps sunlight from reaching the soil which keeps weed seeds from germinating. If you installed weed block material, any weeds you see are sprouting on the top of the weed block and will die off when the roots cannot reach the soil. I'd pull or rake them away from the garden before they develop flowers and seeds so you won't have a new population of weeds in a few weeks. There are pre emergents you can apply to your flower beds (such as Preen) which will keep additional weeds from growing in and around your plants. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Pre emergents will keep new weeds from sprouting but won't affect existing weeds so be sure to pull out all visible weeds before applying the product. Good luck with your flower beds!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"