Lemon - Knowledgebase Question

orange, Te
Question by danna_sims
My two lemon trees produce lots of lemons but I seem to have quite a few that have a little holes in the surface of the lemon. These holes are not all the way thru to the fruit but it does make the lemon have a ugly look.I am an organic gardener.

It's really difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing it but I wonder if you are finding scale insects? These tiny pests attach themselves and feed on the fluids within the tissues of plants. It's possible the insect (which can be gray or brown) is what you are finding, along with the portion of the skin that it has consumed. Without knowing for sure, I don't know what to suggest. Why not take a few of the affect fruits to your local cooperative extension office? Helpful folks there can look under a microscope and positively identify the cause. Contact Orange County Cooperative Extension, 11867 Hwy 62 North, Mauriceville, TX , Phone: 409-882-7010. Good luck with your lemons!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"