corn plant - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by kristenkimbe
When I water my 2yr old corn plant(dracaena massangeana)the water that drains from the bottom is brown. The water solution I use is water/miracle grow. I use the miracle grow because the leaves are turning brown. It looks like it's dying and I don't know what to do for it. Please help. I love this plant.

The brown coloring in the drainage water is simply residue from your potting soil. It doesn't indicate a problem with the soil or with the water. Browning leaf tips can indicate dry air or overwatering. Instead of of watering on a schedule, water thoroughly and then allow the top of the soil to dry out before watering again. I usually lift the pot or tip it slightly to get an idea of how heavy it is. Wet soil will make the container heavy and as the water evaporates, the container gets lighter and lighter in weight. Try this method to see if it helps. Dry air can be improved by setting your plant on a tray in which you keep a layer of gravel and a little bit of water. As the water evaporates it increases the humidity around the plant. Hope these suggestions work for you!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"