orchid is dying - Knowledgebase Question

charlotte, No
Question by nazgulia3108
hello! i do not have any experience to care about orchids and any another plants. My friend presented me an orchid. the flower fell or dye. then i noticed that stem dye too, i cut it, but stem is still brown, it might be dry.
today i bougth pot and orchid potting mix. when i began to change the pots. i noticed in the soil of orchids there are a lot of worms, they are little. i was shocked, so chan

Repotting your orchid should get rid of the little worms. They are sometimes in decomposing organic matter such as potting soil and they won't hurt your plant or escape and invade your home. They are busy recycling the potting soil. But I don't blame you. I'd be shocked to find them, too! Now that you've repotted in fresh orchid potting mix, the problem should take care of itself.

Your new orchid develops long flower sprays. If you cut a faded spray back to a node, a secondary spray may form. If you cut the stem down to the crown of the plant, no new flowers will form on that stem. As for flowering, your orchid can produce a flowering stalk at most any time - initiation has to do with temperature changes and maturity of the plant. Although spikes can appear at any time of the year, most of mine come into spike during the winter months and flower around November, December and January. It takes about three months for the spike to grow and develop into flowers. Most growers cut back the flower stalk (called inflorescence) after blooming has completely finished to allow the plant to rest. The belief is that the next flower spike will be stronger. Orchids are wonderful houseplants! Here are a few general care rules: Orchids need ample humidity, so put the pot on a pebble-filled tray and keep water in it. Also keep the soil moist. When watering, use tepid, not cold water. Mist the leaves occasionally. Orchids need 10-15 hours of bright light each day, but keep them out of direct sunlight. They prefer daytime temperatures of about 70F in summer and 60F in winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Keep them out of cold drafts, feed them during the summer months with a low nitrogen fertilizer, and let them become pot-bound (they flower more freely when their toes are pinched). I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"