How should I store recently purchased bulbs? - Knowledgebase Question

Magnolia, Te
Question by zmail76hdga
This past weekend I purchased a bag of Lily of the Valley bulbs in Magnolia. The bag indicates that I should plant the bulbs after the last frost for my area which is about the end of March. There are already blooms on some of the bulbs. Should I plant them indoors and place them outside at the appropriate time or should I store them as is? If storing is best, how is this done?

0

Are there actually blooms or are you seeing green sprouts on the bulbs? If they are blooming, pot them up in potting soil and keep them indoors to enjoy the flowers. You can plant them outdoors in the spring. If what you are seeing are green sprouts, it simply means that the bulbs were stored in a warm place and they think it's time to grow. You can suspend this growth by placing them in a cool place. If it's cool outdoors, simply store them on a porch or deck (in a protected place, out of rain and snow). An unheated garage or basement is a good storage place. If neither are available, you can keep them in your refrigerator until it's time to plant. Good luck with your Lily of the Valley!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "