Planting Fruit Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Roswell, Ge
Question by lnagoor
I recently puchased a home in the Roswell GA area and would like to know the kind of fruit trees that will grow well, where I can purchase and some basic planting tips. Thanks much!

0

Peaches, nectarines and apples grow well in Georgia so why not start with these? As your experience grows, you can add a few exotic fruit trees. All fruit trees need full sunshine and well draining soil, regular watering and occasional pruning.

Your new trees should be planted as soon as possible. Dig a hole the same depth and slightly wider than the nursery pot and rough up all the soil in the hole. Then unpot your tree and set it in the hole, backfilling with the soil you took out of the hole. The tree should be at the same soil level as it was growing in the pot. Water it well to help settle the soil and then make a watering basin or watering well by mounding up a few inches of soil all around the tree, about 12 inches out from the trunk. Plan to water deeply once each week during the growing season by filling the well with water, allowing it to drain, and then filling it a second time. This will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system.

Best wishes with your backyard orchard!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"