Lawn Fertilizing - Knowledgebase Question

Roswell, Ge
Question by lnagoor
I recently purchased a home an the front yard has a beautiful lawn. Since it's the winter none of the grass is green. Since I'm a first time home owner, do I need to fertilize the yard before spring. I just saw my first green patch in the yard. Any advice on the type of equipment/lawn fertilizer I should use to get it growing will help.

Thanks in advance.

The most commonly planted turfgrasses in your region are warm season grasses. They take the summer heat but tend to go dormant in the winter months. March is the best time to feed your lawn. Use a fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 3-1-2 (such as a 21-7-14). You can feed again in early summer (follow fertilizer package recommendations for application times). There's not much you can do to get your lawn growing again. It will sit patiently and wait for both the air and the soil temperatures to warm before it resumes growing. Double check that green spot to make sure it's turfgrass and not a winter weed! If it's turfgrass, you can expect your lawn to completely green up next month. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"