lawn - Knowledgebase Question

huntington beach, Ca
Question by ronaldtchave
I want to sand my lawn for leveling purposes. What type of sand do I use? It's bermuda with small indentations.Thanks

Probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil. If topsoil isn't available, you can use builder's sand, but it will eventually disappear into the soil and you'll have to repeat the process a few years down the road. If the spots are really low, plan on doing the job in increments - add only about an inch of topsoil, allow the grass to grow up through it, then add a second inch, allowing the grass to grow up through again. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"