Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by taylorfields
Hibiscus stopped blooming and leaves have black spots and lost dark green color. what to do?

0

Without the opportunity to see the problem, it's difficult to diagnose. It does sound, though, that a bacterial disease has attacked your hibiscus. I'd prune the shrub back to remove the damaged leaves (and remove the disease pathogen). It should recover quickly and begin to put out fresh, healthy foliage when the weather begins to warm. You didn't mention whether or not you regularly feed your hibiscus. If not, start feeding with a 20-20-20 slow release fertilizer in amounts as recommended on the fertilizer label. The pale leaves might also indicate a need for iron. Your soil is alkaline and even with regular feeding, plants can need an extra boost. I'd apply a half cup of Ironite to the soii beneath the plant 3 times a year to help it maintain a deep green color. Good luck with your hibiscus!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"