Tree planting - Knowledgebase Question

Park Ridge, Il
Question by wolfannem
I would like to plant two trees around my new home. One would be facing the west and one would face east. I'd like either colored leaves or colorful blooms. The tree should not grow more than 20' tall. I have read about maples and those are of interest to me. Any other suggestions for tree planting in Chicago? Also, when do I plant the trees? thanks.

Here are a few small trees to consider:
Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' (Monkshood-leaved fullmoon maple) is an elegant cut-leaved cultivar of the Fullmoon maple. It has a rounded canopy, grows about 10' tall and has rich medium green leaves turning crimson in the fall.

Cercis canadensis (Eastern redbud), a small broad rounded native tree grown for its attractive magenta-pink flowers which appear in April. It is a small, rounded to broad-rounded, flat-topped tree, often with the trunk divided near the ground. Grows about 20' tall and has dark green leaves, turning yellow to yellow-green in the fall.

Crataegus viridis 'Winter King' (Winter King green hawthorn) is an excellent hawthorn selection known for its persistent red fruit display, and white flowers.
It has a rounded, vase-shaped grow pattern and can grow to 30' with dark glossy green leaves.

A final suggestion is Sophora japonica 'Pendula' (Weeping Japanese pagodatree). This weeping form of the Japanese pagodatree is an excellent specimen plant. Although flowering rarely, its picturesque habit more than makes up for any lack of floral display. This tree has a weeping, mounded, somewhat horizontally layered growth pattern and reaches 15-25' high.

Spring is an excellent time to plant landscape trees. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"