Plum Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Katy, Te
Question by npriscilla
Do you need two plum trees in order for pollination? I purchase a plum tree from Home Depot, but there is not a name on it. How can I find out what type it is so I can determine if it is self pollination?

Most fruit trees need cross-pollination for good fruit set, and you may need to buy more than just one variety. To assure fruit set, you'll need a second variety of plum. It's difficult to determine the name of a plum without seeing its fruit - and without a second tree, yours may never develop fruit so we have a real quandry here! The best plums for your region include Allred (small with red skin and flesh), Methley (mediums sized, purple skin and amber flesh), Morris (large fruit, purple skin and flesh), Ozark Premeir (large fruit, Red and Cream skin with yellow flesh) and Wickson (large with yellow skin and flesh), and Santa Rosa, which is considered self-pollinating but will produce more fruit with a second variety nearby. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"