birds in garden - Knowledgebase Question

valley center, Ca
Question by slsteadman
Birds have been eating the vegetables in my garden beds soon after the plants emerge from the ground. I tried plastic bags on poles, compact disc. Even row covers (when i removed these from snap peas that had grown larger ,they still ate the leaves. Any ideas on keeping them away. thank you rick

Gardeners report varying success with a number of different bird repelling tactics. Here are some to consider: metallic bird tape that flashes; a pet dog or cat on patrol; controlling any insects that they may be foraging when they attack the foliage; building a hoop frame and draping birdnetting over the top, setting a wire mesh cage over vulnerable plants until they are large enough to withstand the damage. I personally make hoops out of lengths of PVC pipe, bury one end in the ground then push the other end down and bury it - the result is a hoop). Space hoops every 2-3' along the garden row and then drape birdnetting over the hoops. When you want to work in the garden or harvest your peas you can simply fold back the birdnetting. Hope this works for you, too.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"