bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

detroit, Mi
Question by hillsideprod
I have hyacinth bulbs and I submitted a question about storing them, how soon do I do the process you told me about trying to force them into flowering indoors, when do I do that process and when do I plant them outdoors?

0

Spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinths need to be planted in your yard in the fall (October or November). The bulbs you have now will not flower if you plant them outdoors now but you can force them to flower indoors by setting them in special flower bulb vases or in a glass of water with a narrow top so the bulb sits only halfway immersed in water. You can do that now and with any luck your hyacinths will bloom for you. After they have finished blooming, cut off the flower stem but allow the foliage to die down on its own. When it does, take the bulb out of the water and store in a cool, dark place until October or November. At that time, plant them in the garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"