My Backyard - Knowledgebase Question

Silver Spring, Ma
Question by Ladyinlet
The home that I recently purchased has a large backyard. Unfortunately, when it rains it holds a lot of water. Is there anything I can do about it? Thank you.

I'd do a little investigation to see if you can determine just where the excess water is coming from. If you can determine that you can install a curtain drain to redirect the water so it drains away from your yard. If you can't determine just where it is coming from, you may have to install curtain drains along all the property lines to help drain the water. The French drain (or curtain drain) is a time-honored system for eliminating excess water from low points and other areas prone to saturated soil. French drains are quite simple: in essence they are just trenches filled with gravel, with sand on top of that. Often, you'll see French drains defined to include a drain pipe as well, though the traditional design is simply the gravel-filled trench. The advantages of French drains are low cost and easy installation. In addition, they can be covered over with turf after installation, making them less conspicuous. A French drain starts with digging a trench. The depth and width of the trench can vary, but 5 to 6 inches wide and 8 to 12 inches deep are common sizes and usually satisfy most needs. Grading is a critical consideration ? you must ensure that enough slope exists for the water to actually flow, and flow in the right direction. It might be adequate to check very short stretches of drain with a level to ensure that a slope exists to carry water in the desired direction. However, you should take whatever measures are necessary, including a survey and grading, if needed, to ensure that you have at least a 0.5 percent slope. A 1 or 2 percent grade is better. Add gravel to the trench to within a few inches of the surface. Gravel for this use is typically 0.5 to 1 inch in size. On top of the gravel, lay at least 3 or 4 inches of coarse sand. This provides a medium in which turf can grow so that the trench will not be visible. But remember that the sand must be coarse or it won't allow water to properly drain through. Turf may be seeded into the sand or simply allowed to grow in from adjacent areas, if the turf is a spreading type. Or, you can lay sod over the sand. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"