Ajuga plants wilting and dying - Knowledgebase Question

Canoga Park, Ca
Question by girlznberrie
Since last april I have planted 3 flats of ajuga in small 5x5 areas. Only 1/3 of the plants appear to have survived...will they come back in spring? They get mostly shade...even plants that were hearty are now wilting & dying...help!

0

Although Ajuga will grow in bright shade, it really prefers at least a half a day of full sunshine. They also require really well draining soils. If your plants are wilting and you water them deeply once a week (twice a week in the summer), then I'd suspect the soil isn't draining quickly enough for their liking. You can try digging out the area, amending the soil with some organic matter to help it drain more quickly, and then replanting your Ajuga. Water the plants deeply once each week and I think they will perk up. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"