Tree Indentification - Knowledgebase Question

Clayton, No
Question by jessmarroyo
Hi! I have a lot with a small wooded area. Being new to central NC, I don't recognize some of the tree. There is one smallish, thin tree that has no leaves in winter, but its branches are full of small red, firm berries that fall all over the ground. Could you tell me what these could be? I am afraid the berries could be poisonous for my dog, and I can't seem to identify them. Thanks,--Jess

Trees are identified by their leaves, bark and flowers so I won't be much help in identifying the tree in question but there are a couple of things you can do to have it positively identified. You can take a sample of the leaves and flowers to your local cooperative extension office or you can visit the following web site to see if you can match the photos to your tree:

If not, contact your local cooperative extension office for help: Johnston County Cooperative Extension, 806 North Street, Smithfield, NC 27577-4062 phone(919) 989-5380.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"