New Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Virginia Beach, Vi
Question by mrsdrxtr
Hello, We just purchased our first home, and I am ready to start preparing for a plant and vegetable garden. We reside Virginia Beach, VA, should I wait to End of March beginning of April to begin ?

You'll want to wait until the soil dries out a bit. Just take a handful of soil and squeeze. If water drips out, it's too wet; if it forms a solid mass but crumbles if you touch it, it's dry enough to work. To prepare the bed, spread 4-5 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. When the weather is warm, plant your seeds or transplants. To help suppress weeds, spread another 2-3 inches of compost over the bare soil between the plants. At the end of the gardening season remove the old plants and dig the compost into the soil. Repeat on an annual basis and you'll end up with rich garden loam and your plants will thrive. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"