Help for my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Bothell, Wa
Question by edith72
We got a new home in
Oct. First time taking care of this kind of lawn (moved from Houston TX to Bothell WA). I step on it while it was frost, now it has lots of bare spots. I don't even know the type of grass we have!

0

You have a cool season grass - or a variety of cool season grasses. The most commonly grown are ryegrass and fescue. They usually brown out in August but are relatively green for the rest of the year. Wait until March and then rake out the bare spots and overseed with a cool season grass mixture. Cover over the seeds with a little peatmoss or compost to keep the seeds moist and to keep the birds from feasting on the seeds. The seeds will germinate in 7-10 days and fill in those bare spots. Washington State University recommends feeding turf in April, June, September and late November or early December with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK. I find that the right fertilizer blend is usually on sale at about the right application time so watch the ads. Be sure to mow as often as necessary to keep the lawn at 1 1/2 to 2" high. In the spring you may need to mow twice a week! Otherwise you have to cut and bale! Water once or twice a week if rain is sparse and you should have an attractive lawn for most of the year. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"