night blooming jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Hill, Fl
Question by maryannricci
I just asked a question regarding my hibiscus. Hopefully your advice will help. I also have 2 night blooming jasmine. I planted them last spring and enjoyed them through summer. I then noticed the leaves were severely chewed up by something. They then were damaged by the recent unusal florida freeze. The leaves are now yellow in color and wilted when wet, dried up when not. Can I prune these too

0

You can prune your night blooming jasmine back to remove the winter damage. Sometimes these plants freeze all the way down to the ground but they come back strong when the weather warms. Go ahead and prune yours back as far as necessary to removing the frost damage. I'm not sure what might be feasting on the leaves of your plant. Wait to see if it happens again this spring and summer. If you begin to notice holes in the leaves, check the undersides of the leaves for little green worms and look at the leaves lower than the affected ones to see if you can find frass (bug poop). If you find the worms or the frass, you can protect your plant with a botanical called Bt (sold as Dipel or Thuricide). It attacks caterpillars but won't harm people, pets or wildlife. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"