Water Maple Question - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by bcomer5
I just purchased a home that has a smaller back yard (about 70ft by 60 ft) that has a huge water. The tree shades almost the entire back yard and the ground underneath it receives very little to no sunlight (MAYBE 2 hours/day in some places, none in others). Is there anything I can plant that will cover the ground, look decent, and be able to withstand foot traffic of myself and my large dog?

0

There are a couple of groundcover plants for you to consider planting. Pachysandra Green Sheen is one of the most reliable groundcovers for shaded areas and is ideal for planting under the canopies of established trees where little else grows. Green Sheen has extremely glossy foliage. Variegated Japanes Pachysandra is an alternative (or addition) to the Green Sheen, the variegated Japanese thrives even in the dense shade of evergreens. It is low-growing and compact, retaining its beauty with white tinged leaves even in adverse conditions.

Ajuga Reptans ?Burgundy Glow? is reasonably hardy under foot traffic. It is a creeping, mat-forming evergreen perennial that does well in shady area. It spreads rapidly to a width of 24 to 36 inches and a height of only six inches. The cream and maroon variegated leaves make a pleasant contrast in any garden.

Either of these suggestions should work well in your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"