Dwarf Alberta Spruce - Knowledgebase Question

Rock Springs, Wy
Question by sweetbaboon1
We purchased and Dwarf Alberta Spruce in the fall and planted them. Two of the trees are starting to turn really brown. Do you know why and what care do they need in the winter?
Thanks Kim

0

Dwarf Alberta Spruces are some of the most winter hardy evergreens so I don't think the weather is causing the browning. More likely it is a water stress issue. Either too little or too much. The soil must drain quickly or the roots can suffocate. It's difficult to determine just what might be going on with your spruces so you may have to wait until spring to dig around the roots to make sure the soil is draining well. It helps to keep the plants watered well during the fall months before the ground freezes so there will be adequate moisture available as the roots require - but not so much moisture that all the oxygen is driven out of the soil. Wish I could offer more suggestions!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"