lilac - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Hill, Fl
Question by maryannricci
Moved from NY state to Fl. Friend gave me some clippings of his lilac as they are my favorite. Two of the stems have developed many leaves. I bring the pot in as needed due to cold. Will I eventually be able to plant,will they survive here in FL.

0

Lilacs will grow in the alkaline soil in your region, but will not be a dependable performer because lilacs need a pronounced winter chill to produce flowers. So, taking yours indoors in the winter is defeating the purpose of providing a winter chill. There are a few hybrids developed by Descanso Gardens that will bloom without a winter chill. If yours is 'Lavender Lady', 'Blue Skies' or 'Forrest K. Smith', it will bloom for you. If not, you may want to replace your lilac with one of the low-chill varieties. Wish I could be more encouraging about your favorite lilac!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"