Hearty Petunias - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by Tccoleman
Can you suggest a multi-flora petunia that holds up well to rather heavy rain? Every year my petunias look great in May then the heavy rainfal in June seems to stunt their growth and they never seem to realy recover. I have them on raised beds and good drainage, but that does not seem to help. Please help!!!!! -Tom :o)

Multiflora petunias are durable and prolific. Their flowers are not as large as the grandiflora types, but they are very free-flowering and vigorous. Multifloras produce masses of color through summer until frost. They are resistant to petal blight. There are single-and double-flowered multiflora petunias.

Carpet' series petunias are available in many colors. They are compact, early blooming with 1?-to 2-inch blooms; 'Primetime' series stay compact and uniform, covered with 2?-inch flowers; 'Heavenly Lavender' is an early, compact, double, deep lavender blue with 3-inch blooms on 12-to 14-inch plants.

You might also consider the following varieties that stand up to wet summer weather: 'Storm' series petunias are weather-tolerant and have high disease tolerance, uniformity and 3-to 4-inch blooms; 'Ultra' series petunias are compact and low-spreading with masses of 3-to 4-inch ruffled blooms; 'Daddy' series petunias have large flowers with distinctive dark veining. They are rain tolerant.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"