Droopy, Wet Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Washington, Di
Question by sdenielle
I just bought a chinese evergreen and after 3 weeks the leaves have started to turn wet and brown and droopy. Have I overwatered? Does it have a disease? What can I do? I've cut all the leaves from the stalk. Also, it is in a corner with little to no light. Is that ok? Thanks! Denielle

Chinese Evergreen will grow in low to medium light but they don't like drafts (either hot or cold) and they won't tolerate wet soils. Droopy leaves sounds like overwatering to me. I don't know that your plant can be saved. Generally by the time you recognize the problem, the roots have already begun to rot. You might try repotting your plant in fresh potting soil. While you have it out of the pot, check for soggy or dead roots and cut them off cleanly before repotting. Hope this works some magic for your plant. Best wishes with your Chinese Evergreen!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"