Indoor herb garden - Knowledgebase Question

Montgomery, Al
Question by sarabills
I have a kitchen counter with a nice 48 in. flourescent fixture 16 inch above. With a grow light, will it be easy to grow herbs here year round? How do I get started for best results?

0

Sounds like a great place to grow herbs! You'll want to raise the pots up so they are 6-8" below the fluorescent light bulbs if the plants are small and short. As they grow, you can lower them down. The key is to keep the source of light within about 8 inches from the tops of the plants. I'd start with transplants for more immediate results (although herb seeds usually germinate quickly). As long as you regularly harvest your herbs by clipping or cutting them back they will continue to put out healthy new leaves all year around. Enjoy your herb garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"