best apricot, nectarine, mango varieties for palmsprings - Knowledgebase Question

redondo beach, Ca
Question by terimcauley
I am looking to plant an apricot, a nectarine and a mango on my property in Palm springs (92234). Which varieties would grow best in that area? I don't mind planting bare root.

Keitt, Kent and Haden mangos are best in your gardening region Apricot trees (Prunus family) that do well in the desert are: 'EarlyG old', 'Blenheim', 'Royal', 'Chinese', 'Tilton', 'Floragold' (a dwarf variety), and 'Newcastle'. Most of these are self-pollinating and need some winter chill.

Nectarine trees (Prunus persica nucipersica) need to be pruned back severely every year because the fruit grows only on the first year growth. Even then you are likely to have a bumper crop annually. Plant these self-pollinating varieties: 'Goldmine', 'Gower', 'Stanwick', and 'Le Grand' and you can feed the whole neighborhood!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"