Best grass for shady area - Knowledgebase Question

Gotha, Fl
Question by lmlittle
My yard will spend a good portion of the day in dappled-to-almost total (but not deep dark shade)shade. It is high shade from tall oak trees and the areas is broken up some spots that will receive full sun. I live in Orlando. Any suggestions for a good grass for a shady area, please? Thanks very much!

A plant's light needs can be described in terms of hours of sunlight and percent of full sun. Most of Florida's grasses should receive at least six hours of sunlight each day, some of which may be partially filtered by trees. Research has shown that most St. Augustinegrass cultivars will actually grow if about thirty percent of full sunlight is filtered. Grass growing in this shade has less heat and drought stress and maintains a darker green color than that growing in full sunlight.

The most shade-tolerant cultivars are 'Seville', 'Delmar', 'Floraverde', and 'Captiva', all of which can sustain with 5-6 hours of sunlight. It is also suggested that you increase the mowing height of turf growing in shaded areas and fertilze less often than grasses growing in full sun.

Hope this information helps you decide what to plant!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"