english ivy - Knowledgebase Question

brooklyn, Ne
Question by iap02
i have lots of home depot plants on my outdoor terrace. I have lots of english ivy I bought from a nursery that thrived well. The ivy I bought from home depot all sadly died. ...not sure if there is indoor and outdoor ivy? It looks the same and the skew number is 706718080043 Help please...I hate to have the plants die

0

English ivy is sold as both an indoor and an outdoor plant. You'll have success with it outdoors if you plant it in the spring and it has all summer to establish before cold weather sets in. Sometimes the plants are grown in a greenhouse where they receive perfect light and temperatures and are potted up and sold as houseplants. Take your cue from the department where you find the plants. If you find them sold in the houseplant or greenhouse department, the plants are young and tender and will need to be hardened off before growing outdoors. If you find them in an outdoor display, they are already hardened off and ready to live in the great outdoors. All ivies need well draining soils. They can develop root rot when overwatered or when planted in poorly draining soils. The first symptoms are soft, brown leaves, followed by stem collapse. You didn't describe the symptoms your plants developed so I am at a loss as to what to suggest. If you replace your ivy, make sure its companion plants like soils on the dry side so you won't be tempted to overwater. Best wishes with your terrace garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"