Marathon 1 grass - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, Ca
Question by abner_cordov
I put some Marathon #1 down and it looked great from July till December. Now it looks weak its a mix of green yellow and almost brown. What do I do? I hear I shouldn't fertilize at this time of year but I need to do something. I live in los angeles. What do I do?

Marathon Grass is specifically designed for the climate and soil of Southern California and it should remain green all year around. However, I know you've had an amazing amount of rainfall over the past two weeks and that's probably what's causing the yellowish color. Saturated soils, whether from the sprinkler or from Mother Nature, can cause the symptoms you describe. A light frost can do the same. It's safe to feed your lawn in the winter because it never really stops growing. Go ahead and fertilize now. It should green up in 2-3 weeks. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"